Michael S. Wiisbye has more than 25 years’ experience in insurance and tort law. He advises a number of Danish and foreign insurance companies. In this connection, he has conducted a large number of cases before the courts and arbitration tribunals, many of which concerned the key principles of insurance and tort law.
Michael also deals with these questions in his capacity as the editor of the collected case reports on insurance and tort, as well as co-author of a commentary on the Law on liability for damages.
Among his other main areas of practice is construction law, which is a field in which Michael conducts many cases for professional advisers before the courts and arbitration tribunals.
He also administers Dansk Jagtforsikring, an insurance company for hunters, both in relation to reported injuries and the running of the company.
Michael is frequently asked to give lectures at seminars held by, for instance, the Danish Insurance Academy, the Danish Bar and Law Society and the Danish Association for Insurance Law (AIDA), and he has also been a member of several boards and committees concerned with the administration of justice, legal liability and insurance law.
Michael acts as arbitrator as well.
Michael S. Wiisbye was born in 1961 and graduated from the University of Copenhagen in 1985.
Professional qualifications and education
- 2003 Right of audience before the Supreme Court
- 1998 Right of audience before the High Court
- 1996 Attorney
- 2006 - Managing Director of Dansk Jagtforsikring A/S
- 1994 - Lecturer for the Danish Bar and Law Society, Danish Association for Insurance Law (AIDA), the Danish association of lawyers and economists, the National association of estate agents, and Danish Society for Construction and Consulting Law and others.
- 1986 - Participates in arranging seminars for lawyers and others at the Danish Insurance Academy.
- 1986 - 1994 Teaching at the Danish Insurance Academy
- 1985 - 1994 Divisional manager for the Insurance Complaint Board
Representative posts etc.
- 2006 - Member of the Supreme Court bar association
- 2004 - 2005 Member of the Danish Bar and Law Society’s insurance committee
- 2002 - 2005 Member of the Danish Bar and Law Society’s law committee
- 2002 - Member of the committee on the law on compensation claims and insurance law of the Danish Bar and Law Society
- 2001 - Member of the committee of the Danish Association for Insurance Law (AIDA)
- 1999 - 2001 Member of the Danish Bar and Law Society’s committee on the administration of justice
- 1994 - Editor of the collected case reports on insurance and compensation claims
- Commentary on the Law on liability for damages, co-author 5th ed., 1999, 6th ed., 2002 and 7th ed., 2020 books
- International Personal Injury Compensation, co-author, Sweet & Maxwell, 1996, book
- Legal costs insurance, Forsikringshøjskolen, 1994, book
- Insurance Complaints Tribunals in Europe, Nordisk försäkringstidskrift, 1988, article
- Many articles on the topics of insurance and tort for Ugeskrift for Retsvæsen, Juristen, Advokaten, Nordisk Forsikringstidsskrift, Forsikring etc.